Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Goddamn Democracy!

As we discussed Plato's ideas about government, I became enraged at Plato's characterization of one who would consider themselves part of a Democracy.

He explains:
"And so he lives on, yielding day by day to the desire at hand. Sometimes he drinks heavily while listening to the flute; at other times, he drinks only water and is on a diet; sometimes he goes in for physical training; at other times, he's idle and neglects everything; and sometimes he even occupies himself with what he takes to be philosophy. He often engages in politics, leaping up from his seat and saying and doing whatever comes into his mind. If he happens to admire soldiers, he's carried in that directions, if money-makers, in that one. There's neither order nor necessity in his life, but he calls in pleasant, free, and blessedly happy, and he follows it for as long as he lives."

Now, I'm not going to pretend I'm anything I'm not; that first sentence is by-and-large a general outline for a typical week of mine (of course, if it were to start on Friday). But am I really that predictable? I tend to think not. Because the first statement is so painfully correct, I found myself furious at his assumption that my life has no order or necessity, for I can convince you my life has both. I will assure you, I am not apathetic, and I neither admire nor follow any of his aforementioned ideals. So where does that leave me?

Is not what Plato describes what most would call somewhat of a well-rounded individual? Sure, his person seems to lack direction and motivation, but this is how some people mosey through life. But what happens when you add these two ingredients into the mixture? I tend to think that this person would end up being passionate and responsible, and ultimately find a deep satisfaction with themselves. After all, I think Plato would agree that harmonized rational, spirited, and appetitive parts would yield a whole person.

This is interestingly described by a story I found on the internet. I hope you enjoy it.
Mayonnaise and Beer

No comments: